Summer’s on its way and no BBQ should be without a tasty dessert to finish! This semi-freddo recipe is really straightforward but delicious.
100g fresh strawberries
100g rhubarb diced
100g caster sugar
50ml elderflower cordial
85g golden caster sugar
284ml carton double cream
2 tbsp vodka
400ml crème fraiche
· Remove the strawberry tops and cut into halves or quarters depending on the size. Do the same with the rhubarb and then place both in a medium pan
· Add the elderflower cordial and the caster sugar into the pan and cook down on a medium heat
· When the strawberries and rhubarb have softened remove from the heat, add the champagne and then allow to cool
· Lightly whip the cream, adding the golden caster sugar when you start to see ribbon shapes in the cream.
· Fold in the crème fraiche and then add the cooled strawberry and rhubarb compote
· Add in the vodka to the mix and freeze in a loaf tin which you should line with a double layer of cling film
· Allow to freeze for at least 8 hours and then slice and serve
If you want to make an alcohol free version then just remove the champagne and vodka. The semi-freddo will be a little harder but just remove it from the freezer and place in the fridge for an hour before serving, or alternatively add a fruit flavoured syrup or cordial of your choice.
You can use all different fruits and alcohol combinations, for example Limoncello/Raspberry or Cherry/Kirsch.